May 19, 2008

FGC event in August - Religious Education

It's only by chance--err, I mean by Divine Nudge--that I visited FGC's website today and saw that there is a workshop coming up in August, near Indianapolis. The workshop is technically (by FGC's vernacular) a "religious educators' institute" that occurs once every four years... just like the Olympics.

This year's offering has the theme and tag:

Out of the Living Silence: A dynamic conference for religious educators, parents, and other adults.
It runs from August 14-17, 2008 and appears to be like a mini FGC Gathering, with a number of workshop opportunities and interest groups. Some of the presenters I know personally and are great!

(If nothing else, click on the link for the "Event Program" and take a look at what's being offered.)

While the costs are high, hopefully Friends who are interested will take the initiative to approach their monthly and yearly meetings, as well as FGC, to request scholarships to help reduce the cost to participate. Deadline for registration is July 26, 2008.

Also, it's worth noting that this event isn't restricted to First Day School teachers. Parents and non-parents are encouraged to attend, which makes sense to me, given that we are all responsible for the spiritual nurture and religious education of the children who worship and play among us.

Blessings,
Liz

4 comments:

Robin M. said...

I don't remember how I got a copy of the advance program of the REI four years ago, but I think I still have it. Just reading about the various offerings was inspirational. Alas, I don't think I'm going to make it this year either.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Looks great. As someone who could get to Bradford Woods quite easily (I live in Indy) I would love to go. But once again, another event that is priced too high for those of us of modest means--even the "commuting adults" fee is more than I can afford.

Perhaps there are scholarships, and I will check about that.

It's long been one of my Quakerly dreams to be able to offer a free workshop in an area of my expertise. I'm hoping space and time will open in my life sometime soon for this to happen.

Meanwhile, enjoy the conference.

cath

Anonymous said...

Liz--I just noticed this in your post:

While the costs are high, hopefully Friends who are interested will take the initiative to approach their monthly and yearly meetings, as well as FGC, to request scholarships to help reduce the cost to participate. Deadline for registration is July 26, 2008.
======

I know it's a sore spot to some people that I tend to double post, but I wanted to acknowledge that you had already addressed an issue that I brought up. (too early, too much on my mind, not enough coffee on this end).

cath

Liz Opp said...

Robin -

I have heard only good things about these religious education institutes. Perhaps "one of these days" you and I will meet up at one of these institutes.

Cath -

I'm glad you caught that there are ways to request financial support to help make this sort of event (more) accessible to Friends. ...As I said to Robin, perhaps "one of these days" we'll meet up at one of these events and not just drool over them (either because we can't afford to attend or because we can't readily travel to them).

Blessings,
Liz