August 12, 2008

Two quick blips

1. Pendle Hill programs

The program for Pendle Hill's 2009 winter session of weekend workshops and short courses is available online, and there are a number of explicitly Quaker offerings:

On Being Gathered: A Workshop on Meeting Growth and Revitalization, by Deborah Haines, January 30-February 1, 2009.

Clerking, by Deborah Fisch and Bill Deutsch, February 6-8, 2009.

The Sacred Compass: The Way of Spiritual Discernment, by Brent Bill, February 6-8, 2009 (this may not be explicitly Quaker by its title, but Brent has received so much attention because of his recent book that I wanted to list this workshop here).

Listening for God, Finding the Path, a short course with Mary Lord, February 22-26, 2009.
Unfortunately, Pendle Hill's website doesn't have individual links to each of these courses, so be sure to scroll down through the entire listing of workshops and short courses when you take a look.


2. New blog: FGC Buzz

A couple of years ago, I began seeking a way for me to stay more readily connected to the buzz of activity that is going on in FGC. When I was active on its Central Committee, I knew long in advance what small conferences, religious education institutes, and special workshops were being organized, and I helped generate some chatter about those events in my local Quaker community.

I also knew intuitively that other folks probably wanted an easier way to find out what FGC was up to, without necessarily wading through the overwhelmingly comprehensive FGC website.

I finally hit on the idea of establishing the blog FGC Buzz as a way to help interested Friends of FGC find out more readily what's going on.

I've also been having conversations with staff at FGC to explore ways to "channel" appropriate information to the FGC Buzz so that I won't have to spend (too much) time myself on the FGC website.

And I'm hoping to strike the right balance on the Buzz between organizational information and personal perspective.

More later, as always.

Blessings,
Liz

5 comments:

driftingfocus said...

Pendle Hill's course listing for this fall/winter looks excellent. I am sad to be overseas, as I cannot attend some of the more interesting courses, but next summer, when I return, I definitely intend to.

By the way, I just wanted to let you know that I have enjoyed reading your blog, and would like to add you to my blogroll, if that is okay. You are under no obligation to do the same, but I like to be polite and ask first.

My own blog is at http://innerquiet.wordpress.com/

Liz Opp said...

Antipeople -

Feel free to add The Good Raised Up to your blogroll, and thanks for the link to your own blog(s).

Blessings,
Liz Opp, The Good Raised Up

P.S. Any chance you could give me a different way to respond to you? Writing "Dear Antipeople..." feels very impersonal! How 'bout an initial or two...?

I want to respect your privacy, AND I also didn't want to ignore my own unease. Thanks for considering my request.

driftingfocus said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
driftingfocus said...

Of course! "Antipeople", by the way, is a really, really old username of mine, back from highschool. I don't use it because I dislike the connotations. I don't use my blogger blog anymore (livejournal and wordpress now), but I use it to leave comments.

My name is Kelsey. My updated info can be seen on my "Who Am I?" page on my blog.

Liz Opp said...

Thanks, Kelsey. Might I add, Nice to meet you.

Blessings,
Liz