November 23, 2007

Queries from the FGC consultation

Surrounding us in the large conference room during the consultation on emerging gifts of gospel ministry were these queries:

What is the reception of gospel ministry in our monthly meeting?

How do we let our Light shine without our fire consuming those we are trying to warm?

Who elders the ministers? Who elders the elders?

How do we discern the ministry we are called to? How do we discern if we are still called?

How do we discern if we are called to travel in the ministry... or if we are to stay in our meeting?

If we are called to travel, how do we discern a companion? How do we affirm those who companion in the ministry?
A few other queries were added to this original list, but it is the queries from the original list that drew and held my attention for much of the weekend.

Blessings,
Liz

P.S. Links to related posts are listed at the bottom of this post which includes the epistle from the consultation.

3 comments:

Robin M. said...

I want to know more about the companioning part. Did you come up with any answers? Any advice you can share?

Liz Opp said...

Hi, Robin.

Like you, I wanted to know more or hear more about one or two particular queries...

I don't know if it was the planning committee's intent or not, but the queries--written on pieces of flipchart paper that were hung on the walls--were never addressed directly.

Perhaps they are more along the lines of, "These are questions the planning committee is wrestling with and/or holding," inviting us silently to join in the wrestling and the holding.

That's why I wanted to post them here, because these queries speak to my condition and I want to be able to return to them, as needed. It's easier for me to find them on The Good Raised Up then to find them among the loose papers piled up in my home!

Blessings,
Liz

Liz Opp said...

Marshall Massey has emailed me his own thoughts on these questions. I've posted them as a guest piece, with his permission.

Blessings,
Liz